Monday, February 15, 2010

Maslow & Me

What a weird thing to wake up thinking of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, but that's exactly what was on my mind yesterday as I got out of bed! You may remember learning about it from psychology or sociology class ... or maybe not. Anyway, it looks like this and the gist of it is that the bottom levels of the pyramid represent basic human needs that must be fulfilled before people can move on to concern about the higher pyramind levels.

"A rich person isn't one who has the most, but one who needs the least," reads a very simple, beige and black, tin plaque that hangs in the guest bathroom of our home. Ironically, this house cost more than any other place we've ever lived! In our defense, it's not a particularly "fancy" place, but the lake view is spectacular and it seemed, at the time we had it built, a safe place to park some investment money in hopes of multiplying it later when the kids are gone and we sell it for retirement. We do agree that our final retirement place will be much smaller and simpler, and hopefully, mortgage free.

My mind churns fearfully these days - thinking about friends who've been out of work for so long and are unable to meet some of their basic needs, the uncertainty of my husband's industry and what that would mean to us if he lost his job, and the importance of living more simply so we are prepared not only to provide for our own family, but also so we're able to help others.

I suppose after having enjoyed an extended, blessed and luxurious time of dwelling at the top of Maslow's pyramid, I really don't want to go back down to the bottom again. Who would?

What I know for sure is this: today is all that's certain. I thank God for where my circumstances stand in it. Maybe Maslow's appearance yesterday was to remind me to use my resources and blessings wisely - each day. Lest I forget, to whom much is given, much is expected ....

2 comments:

Edwina said...

Excellent post and advice!

Grace Chaser ... said...

Thank you, Ms. Blog!